If you have downloaded the Puppet Learning VM (Virtual Machine) and you are ready to start learning about Puppet via the quests, here are some useful commands and tips to help you think about before you get started.
Puppet Learning VM quest TIPS
Main quest commands:
quest begin <nameofquest>- begin a quest
quest —helpshows a list of commands or help for one command
quest list- list available quests
quest status- shows status of the current quest
Other useful commands
systemctl --all | grep pe-command to validate that all PE services are fully started, then use the
questtool to restart the quest.
restart_classroom_services.sh.If still observe stopped Puppet-related services (e.g. pe-console-services) several minutes after the VM has started, double check that you have sufficient memory allocated to the VM and available on your host, then use the following restart script to restart these services in the correct order.
Here's some examples of these commands in action.
Resetting your Puppet Learning VM password:
Resetting your Puppet Learning VM password (that had been randomly generated).
- The password can be found in /var/local/password
- To set a new password, run the command: reset_assword.rb
To check the password:
To edit the password, you can use a vim editor that will be usable in the Puppet Learning VM and run these commands:
- Change your password as you like
- Press ESC + :w (writes the change)
- Press ESC + :wq (allows you to exit the vim editor and return back to the main screen)
I can't scroll up in my terminal
- Press control-B, then
- Then use the arrow keys to scroll.
qto exit scrolling.
Files store in the bin folder on the VM
You can also use the verify_classroom.sh script to check if you have set up enough memory for the VM to work.
About the VM
- It's a CentOS-based VM that comes with Puppet Enterprise pre-installed.
- http://<VM's IP ADDRESS> on your host machine is where the Puppet Guide will be made available so keep note of it.
- If you have any issues and are not live, please refer to the troubleshooting guide included in the readme.rtf file that accompanied your Learning VM download.
Other Puppet Learning VM blog posts written:
- How to set up the Puppet Learning Virtual Machine on your computer
- How to connect to your Puppet Learning VM with SSH
- Puppet Learning VM quest tips
- Puppet Learning VM quest task not shown as complete
- Youtube guides up to Bolt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmAOirrpJOM&list=PLV86BgbREluVslX1cl2X1DQ8sc-uRwNad&index=4
- Github troubleshooting guide for the quest - https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-quest-guide/blob/master/troubleshooting.md
- Github version of the Quest guide - https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-quest-guide/blob/master/summary.md